Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Studying Japanese

I chose to study Japanese because the language seemed very fun to learn and speak, and also because I am very interested in the culture.  Japanese culture has very detailed history, and learning the language will help me understand the culture. I am excited to be able to have a conversation in Japanese, and be able to speak with a friend at UCSD who is learning Japanese. After the first two weeks, I find it difficult to remember all the hiragana characters both in writing and reading.

3 comments:

  1. learning a whole new alphabet it a lot, so don't get frustrated! it'll get easier with practice. がんば てね!(good luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, learning to read and write is going to be very difficult! I can't imagine the pains we'll all be taking to learn all the kanji.

    To answer your question, yes I would highly recommend studying abroad in Tokyo. I absolutely love going there and it's very easy to get around using the subway system, which I understand more than the New York one here, haha. Tokyo offers all the excitement of a huge modern city and also has some beautiful cultural aspects such as Meiji Jingu (a shinto shrine) in Harajuku or Shibuya (not sure which area it's technically in), and the famous Asaksa Buddhist Temple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey badminton partner!
    Yep I understand, I find it difficult to remember all the hiragana words but we will get used to it with all the practice worksheets and homework we have to do! don't worry, at the end of the semester hopefully we'll be able to talk in Japanese when playing badminton :)
    - Fiona

    ReplyDelete